And of course, that four-hour ride home to Bakersfield. Greg's two daughters -- who are half-sisters -- are very different players. But unlike his sisters, he still has a season to improve his stats—and get that elusive NCAA Tournament bid. Justin, who had originally dreamed of playing at a Power 5 school like his sisters before choosing the hometown team, only topped his sisters in one category: the fewest turnovers per 40 minutes. Bonner … “I wear [number] 24 because of my sister,” Erica said, “and I just always looked up to her.
Her arrival made Connecticut one of the “biggest winners” of WNBA free agency and bolsters the prospects of a Sun team that fell one win short of claiming its first WNBA championship. [3], McCall was named to the 3x3 U18 team for the USA, along with teammates Kaela Davis, Diamond DeShields, and Brianna Turner. Erica’s WNBA statistics weren’t as dazzling for the Indiana Fever, but she was still a strong rebounder, averaging 3.7 offensive and 5.3 defensive rebounds per 40 minutes. ", Tuesday's game is all in the family for McCalls, Women's college basketball 2020-21 Big 12 predictions: Baylor reloads, Texas closes gap. The contest continued with two players against three, but McCall and Turner were unable to outscore their opponents in China won the game 13-12. But she is excited to get back to the entertainment that pays the bills. So for her to be able to step up like this in a new role, a new leadership role, and just dominate and be able to create for her teammates, it’s been incredible to witness.”. Erica, meanwhile, likes to battle for position and rebounds. But even once McCall made it to the league, she never imagined that one day she and Bonner would both be competing in the WNBA semifinals — and that there’d be a chance they could play each other for a championship. Her player efficiency rating was a sparkling 20.1, well above the league average of 15.0. She returned to The Farm a more confident player. “A piece of me still feels unsatisfied,” she wrote in a post published on High Post Hoops. DeWanna Bonner (née le 21 août 1987) est une joueuse de basket-ball américaine. Erica was born on August 21, 1995 to Gregory and Sonya McCall. [9] She was released from the Dream on July 29, 2020 to clear a roster spot for Glory Johnson, who was cleared to play after previously testing positive for the coronavirus [10] One day later, McCall signed with the Minnesota Lynx to replace the injured Karima Christmas-Kelly. “Both of my sisters have played in the NCAA Tournament and I don’t want to be the odd one out,” Justin told The Bakersfield Californian last month. DeWanna Bonner had been here many times before. But Greg knew that his daughter was going to find her own way. She is a hustler whom Tennessee coach Holly Warlick described as "all out," and Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer calls Erica the team's "heart and soul." It’s just been a huge honor to be her sister.”. She also led her siblings in rebounds, blocks, and field goal percentage, which may be expected given their respective positions on the court. In 2017, DeWanna gave birth to twin girls, through surrogacy, named Cali and Demi. She's a better screener and a better finisher this year. Erica said she thinks "half of Bakersfield" is making the trip to the Bay Area to watch the game. [6], McCall was selected as the fifth pick of the second round (17th overall) of the 2017 WNBA draft by the Indiana Fever. "Hopefully, we both make it to the finals, and that’d be an even better story.”, Alexa Philippou can be reached at aphilippou@courant.com, ©2020 The Hartford Courant (Hartford, Conn.), Visit The Hartford Courant (Hartford, Conn.) at www.courant.com. With Phoenix Mercury, she won the WNBA Championship in 2009 and 2014. Either way, though, Bonner takes top honors in most of the individual categories, starting every game of her career and scoring better than a point every two minutes. The team went on to win the remaining games including the metal rounds to end up with a 7-1 record and the gold-medal representing the championship. McCall later told High Post Hoops’ Keith Geswein, “When I was singing, I was like, ‘This is something I have to do. Candice Dupree is an American professional basketball player who has represented Chicago Sky (2006-2009), Phoenix Mercury (2010-2016), and Indiana Fever (2017-Present) in the WNBA (Women’s National Basketball Association). Now, both sisters are vying for a spot in the finals after their teams' somewhat unexpected postseason runs. You have entered an incorrect email address! In each of the first 3 years of her WNBA career … She had a double double in the opening game against Italy with 22 points and 18 rebounds. In the semi final game against Japan she had a noble another double double with 19 points and 11 rebounds in a game that went to double overtime, with USA winning 102–98. "Being a coach, I think I understand what the coaches want from her and what they expect and I try to help her to see that.". I get paid for playing basketball. "We talk about a lot of different things," Greg said. She often tends to dye her hair blonde, silver, or platinum. Stanford, UCLA and UConn were recruiting Erica, who grew up in Bakersfield, California. The Sun face the Aces in Game 4 Sunday at 1 p.m., while Game 3 for the Storm and Lynx tips at 3 p.m. “It’s kind of surreal,” Bonner said. Meanwhile, McCall, a 2017 draft pick out of Stanford, spent her first three seasons with the Indiana Fever before getting cut in April. And when Erica struggled to get playing time or make an impact on the court, she could lean on DeWanna. "I didn't try really hard," Greg said. “My dad told me the secret … to guarding her,” Erica said. What is The Next: 24/7/365 women's basketball coverage. She calls him after a rough practice, or a particularly interesting day in class. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC. Love our 24/7 women’s basketball coverage? Bonner … McCall stayed in the bubble as a free agent until the Lynx picked her up a day later. Her dad knows the "ins and outs" of her game, so she's going to have to be at her best. Her twins, Cali and Demi, turned three Monday. “She’s just my constant inspiration," McCall said. As McCall looks to take the next step as a professional, she can look to two people in particular for inspiration and advice: dad Greg McCall, who is the women’s basketball coach at UC Bakersfield, and sister DeWanna Bonner, a two-time WNBA champion and three-time All-Star who joined the Connecticut Sun this offseason after 11 seasons with the Phoenix Mercury. This comparison will only consider their WNBA performances. The 31-year-old Dewanna Bonner is an American professional basketball who plays for the Phoenix Mercury of the Women's National Basketball Association. She previously played for the Atlanta Dream and Indiana Fever of the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA). He is a junior on the CSU Bakersfield men’s team, wearing the same No. Women's Basketball news from FanSided Daily, Washington Mystics players watch 2019 title game together, share social distancing stories, A wishlist for NESN’s upcoming 2019 Connecticut Sun re-aired games, Comparing cousins: Jia Perkins, Chennedy Carter, Looking back at the triple-doubles before Sabrina Ionescu, Tamika Catchings, Swin Cash Lead Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame Class of 2020, And One: Bill Sheahan, Mount St. Mary’s prolific leader, Looking back at the biggest jumps into the AP Top 25, Jerry Jeudy Taken by Jaguars in B/R User 2020 NFL Mock Draft, And One: Bill Sheahan, Mount St. Mary's prolific leader. Because the three players averaged very different amounts of playing time in college, I measured their production per 40 minutes instead of per game. I told her, 'You live your dream and I'll live mine.' "I feel like I know now that I can compete with the best players around the world and I learned how to be a leader," she said. Last summer, she said of her sport, “I get to wake up and do what I love every day. [2], McCall continued with the team as the U16 team became the U17 team and competed in the world championship event held in Amsterdam. DeWanna Bonner was born on August 21, 1987, to her parents Greg McCall and LaShelle Bonner. ", "She is such a hard worker," Bonner said via email. “I don’t have to change anything,” she said in 2009 after learning that she would play for Phoenix. Candice Dupree Height, Weight, Age, Body Statistics. “The way she handled this situation — it’s not even easy being here, so to handle it being on three different teams including Indiana just says a lot about her and her character and how we were raised … going from team to team is not easy, and every coach that I’ve talked to just says how much they love her. In a year full of surprises, this has been a pleasant one for the two. The team started by winning their first four contest easily. DeWanna Bonner (born August 21, 1987) is an American professional basketball forward for the Connecticut Sun of the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA). VanDerveer also reminds Erica that she's playing for bragging rights at Christmas dinner. [1], McCall was named to the USA Basketball U16 team, which competed in the Second FIBA Americas U16 Championship in 2011, held in Merida, Mexico. The event, formally known as the 3x3 Youth World Championship, was renamed to be the FIBA 3x3 U18 World Championship For Women. She grew up in California and I grew up in Alabama, so this is probably the most that we’ve actually been around each other.”. She’d just delivered twins at IU Health North Hospital in Carmel and the room was buzzing with excitement for her newborn girls. Bonner’s and McCall’s paths to the semifinals were even more unexpected. I told her that I would love to coach her, and she could always come home if it didn't work someplace else.". “I think this is the first time where this is DeWanna Bonner’s team," McCall said. "I think we are both very excited. I wouldn't know what to do without it. Biographie. DeWanna Bonner says she’s not that big of a dancer or jokester. Powered by Minute Media © 2020 All Rights Reserved. 19.8k Followers, 670 Following, 98 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from DeWanna Bonner (@dewannabonner) Which women's college basketball freshmen, transfers will most influence 2020-21? Bonner, a guard/forward for the Phoenix Mercury who is sitting out this season, gave birth to … DeWanna Bonner is Greg's eldest daughter, and the WNBA All-Star has carved out an impressive professional career, winning two championships with the Phoenix Mercury. Erica played guitar and her bandmates played piano and drums. “The whole bubble and us being around each other. In the fifth game they were matched against China. "If she hits the game-winner against us," Greg said, "she might not get that ride. Greg said he talks to Erica about the virtues of slowing down. In her first three seasons, DeWanna averaged 11.3 points per game, or nearly 19 per 40 minutes, and had an effective field goal percentage of over 48%. Greg said he talks to Erica before and after games. No, it wasn’t a vintage performance that previously won her two WNBA championships and three Sixth Woman of the Year awards; the ones we’ve seen in the first week of the new season.

Who Wrote The Hymn Blessed Quietness, Podcast Media Kit, Coo Business Card, River Lea Distances, Likelike Bigger Younger, Aggretsuko Merch Haida, Brian Maillian Net Worth, Starbound Walkthrough 2020, Atal Yousafzai Date Of Birth, Kauai Active Warrants, The Broker Movie, Skyrim Witch Armor, Exotic Animal Birthday Party Michigan, Salina Post Want, Goldendoodles For Sale, にじさんじ 炎上 叶, Bluegrass Banjo Tabs, Stow And Go Seating, Crown Tundra Release Date, Cesar Cedeno Net Worth, 8th Grade Social Studies Textbook Answers, Jackpot Joy Login, Ufc Throwdown Roster, Cat Crying Meme, Eddie Jobson Net Worth, Jack Johnson Irene Pineau, Teknoparrot Roms Google Drive, Half Bobcat Kittens, Sc2 Rapid Fire File, Itp Cryptid Vs Mega Mayhem,